Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Whoa!

We are in a "whoa" phase right now. Experiencing the world along side a toddler who is experiencing everything for the first time is an unusually special treat.

Every time L sees an airplane, bird, puppy he is so excited that a) it exists b) he knows what it is and c) he can say the name. I can see a true sense of pride emerging in Landon as a result of knowing he can communicate. Sure, every mom is proud of the expressed nouns and verbs, but it's the toddler usage of interjections that really keeps me entertained.
Landon, 12 months, pic by Aaron Draper.

It makes sense that a kid would say, "wh-o-a" (all drawn out in amazement) when he sees an airplane for the first time.Or even when he rides is first amusement park ride. (I took this at one of our favorite San Jose spots, Happy Hallow).

The "whoa's" are getting a little more extensive now. For example:
Hil: "Landon, here's a carrot."
Landon: "Oh! Whoa!!!! carrot."

Upon arriving at our car in the parking lot at the grocery store. Landon recognizes the car and with arms flailing exclaims, "OH yeah! WHOA!!!! car."


Exploring the Target toy section.
Landon: "Whoa!!!!! Helmet."

He even uses it after identifying objects.
As I'm handing him some string cheese.
Landon, "Cheese. Whoa!"

And this was all just today before nap time.
He does mimic pretty much everything Rod and I say and do these days. This whole "whoa" usage along with the accompanying excitement before identifying everything has me thinking. I must say "whoa" A LOT.

It's nice to have some of that excitement about seeing random everyday-life-objects rub off on me. What's changed in me since becoming a mom is, now I'm always so pumped when I pass a semi-truck or when I spot a tractor in a field. I get to point it out to Landon and experience his excitement about seeing it for the first time.
And yes, amidst trying to deal with the hoopla and responsibility of being a parent, it's nice to stop and marvel at the airplanes.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA. This is funny to me because I say "whoa" a lot too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...