Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I dream in SUV's and Mini-vans

Rod and I both have small cars, we like them because of good gas mileage and no monthly payment. Rod's is a tiny girl car, (that he thinks is not a girl car--but it is) and mine is an old Lexus smallish girl car too.
This was fine when we were just two lovebirds in a nest (circa 2007).
But now that we are these people....
(even though we like to think that we are these people...But our self-awareness prevents us from really going there...)We need a bigger car. Like, NEED.

I think I was in denial the first 16 months of Landon's life. Why, we could fit everything we needed for a weekend trip in one car, even if Landon's car seat was surrounded with huge box suitcases and sharp objects. Unless Heir Rodney decided to bring the golf-clubs...then something important was definitely getting left behind. Once Landon started getting bigger and my back started hurting from having to get in all kinds of crazy positions just to get the kid in his car seat, I quickly came to the decision that the new car needed to happen.

Now most of my day is spent running errands and staring longingly at SUV's and Mini-vans. So pretty soon, it's going to happen.

What do you recommend?

5 comments:

  1. Depends on if you're going to be adding to the brood anytime soon. :) I'd go for a small SUV with good resale value like a CRV or a Rav4, even better if it's a few years old with low mileage. Either will be reliable, decent cargo space, and fairly energy efficient (more so than a minivan or larger SUV) and will work well until you have to fit 3 carseats. We even survived with three in our tiny Toyota Camry for a few months after #3, so it could work even then.

    Totally know what you mean, though, I had minivan envy for years. Love my Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sis has the Toyota Sienna - the one with captain's chairs instead of a middle row bench. She loves it and it fits all four of her kids great and has big "trunk" space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I have Major minivan envy every time I drive with any of my friends who has one. We have a Honda CRV and a GMC Yukon and I'm telling you, SUV's got nothin on minivans! They are so much harder to load kids in and out of and they are just not made with kids in mind. Vans are, and I drool over them like dudes drool over sports cars. My friend just bought the Sienna and I it's pretty sweet. My BIL drives an Odyssey and that's great too. Can't wait to see what you guys end up getting. And yes, I'm already jealous ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally felt the same way...and then I went to Europe and had a major reality check ($9/gallon gas + rarely an SUV in sight). Somehow those chic euro moms do it with small cars! The problem is that now I want a Fiat 500, which would basically be the most impractical car possible for a mom, haha. Good luck car hunting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used a small car until I had three kids, so I was definitely ready when we up-graded! Luckily we did have trunk space so we still had room when we traveled. I LOVE my Outlook, but they don't sell those anymore. Trust me, I won't make fun of you if you get a mini-van. Nobody understands mini-vans until they have kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...