Saturday, January 29, 2011

It really sucked when this happened...

While my back was turned the little buddy decided to run his Tonka truck (see below) into the fence, flip it over, and smash his little face/eye (gasp!) into the corner of the metal edge.
He was just two weeks old here...
So of course he was screaming, I was hyperventilating, and thankfully Rod was home to be level-headed and orchestrate the ER trip we had to take because LZ's eyelid was gashed and bleeding.

I'm sure I brag about my kid, (probably more than most moms...) but I will say he was one tough cookie. After the initial scream that lasted about 2 minutes he was totally fine, smiling and once we got to the ER, was way more concerned about the bracelets the nurse put on his leg then the actual bloody gash over his eye.
Because of his pleasant state of mind, Rod and I were kind of embarrassed that we rushed him to the ER, making excuses to the different nurses and doctors like, "Oh he's the first kid," "Maybe it was just a surface scratch," "We just wanted to be safe than sorry."


Well, 2 stitches, a 3 inch needle, and papoose/straight-jacket thing later--we were glad we were "over-protective" parents.
After they took him out of the straight-jacket and removed the head mask that was on him so he wouldn't see the needle (it sounds really cruel but I was glad they did it, the last thing I would want is a suture headed for a toddlers eye without him fully restrained). He looked like he had gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson; hair all sweaty, eye puffy, and doing that little breath-catching thing babies do after they've had a good scream. Heart breaking.
The nurse gave him a little green puppy that he kissed and kissed in the ER, and he refused to go to bed tonight without it. I'm so proud of him. I can only imagine how scary and confusing a situation like that must be for a 14 month-old. I'm also grateful that it was only 2 stitches and no permanent eye damage. Phew. There must have been a few angels looking out for the buddy. As for Rod and I, we survived our first (of hopefully not too many) ER trips with our kid.

5 comments:

  1. Gosh, how scary! Glad he's okay and looks perfectly sweet with his war wound. We've been to the ER with our girls more times than I care to remember--glad his turned out to be (relatively) minor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Poor little guy!!! He was so brave! Rough day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the days you earn your mommy stripes. Our first trip with Noah was so similar - he was 18 mos old and our second trip for stitches was this week. (That's why he had a black eye when we saw you on Fri.) Aren't those experiences strangely sweet? You wish they wouldn't happen, but you feel that overwhelming love and protectiveness that makes you proud and grateful to be a mama.

    Glad the little man fared so well! He's so dang cute, that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If he is related to me, then many more will follow. Altough, I hope that is not the case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little guy! It's so heartbreaking watching your child go through something traumatic like that. I would've totally had a breakdown watching them do the stitches, I'm glad he didn't have to see the needle but still, YOU did and that must've been so hard! Sounds like he was a little trooper though. What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...