Monday, March 21, 2011

Some things we do...occasionally


Some of my favorite memories growing up are of when my Dad used to take me and my brothers on walks/hikes in the mountains and nature preserves in the Denver area. I love some good nostalgia, and since I'm terrible at doing holiday crafts, I am trying to drag my husband out for little family walks once a week or so for our own little family traditions. Luckily my cousin Melanie, who is practically a Bay Area native, introduced me to this lovely park/nature preserve (right off the freeway...you'd never know it) called Rancho San Antonio. Look at that GREEN?! It almost hurts my eyes. I love.
Dorky pic of me (probably should have put on some make-up)...but since I am the designated family photographer, every once and a while I like to prove that I was there too, you know? Look at Rod in the back, he's like "Hurry up! Let's get this hike over with!"
Did I mention we ran into God on the hike?
At the end of the walk, there is a little farm and usually the kids can walk up to the animals and see them. Landon loves this, but what this experience has taught me is that pigs are just kind of huge, disgusting animals. Sorry to you pig lovers out there, but look at this gal.
Even Landon looked amazed at her grossness.

This is Landon's favorite guy. Ah, the memories. :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you when it comes to traditions. Yes to adventures, gouge my eyeballs out if I have to do crafts and parent at the same time. :)

    I can't believe you are moving again!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That pig is hilarious!! Even more funny is Landon's amazement at it's grossness. Lol! His facial expression is priceless. Also totally know what you mean about being the family photographer. For every 20 pics of Taber and the kids there's only one of me. Sometimes you just gotta stop and document your presence so future generations will know that yes, this family had a mother too : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hilary...read Health Girl...followed the link about moving AGAIN! Oh my goodness...and in this post saw you grew up in Denver. That's where Mark and I are now. Any favorite places? Still trying to get used to it.
    PS--Landon is ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats cool that you are living in Denver. What part? I grew up in Arvada. Most of the places I went to I remember being really cool as a child, so who knows what I would think of them as an adult with a little perspective. Here is a website http://www.prospectdistrict.org/ this highlights some of the parks in Denver that we used to go to. We also used to hike a lot in the canyons around Boulder, and in the areas around Mt Evans. Silverthorne (outlet malls and touristy food places) is about an hour and a half from Denver and it is right next to Lake Dillion (which is really pretty and is in the middle of all the ski resorts) and Im sure there are gazillions of hiking and biking trails around there that would be great to do in the spring and summer. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow. We're in Arvada! Just off off Kipling and 55th. Those sound like great suggestions. We've driven through Silverthorne, but it's always on a Sunday, so we haven't stopped. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...