Friday, February 18, 2011

Jesus at Best Buy


We've been working with Landon on understanding who the Savior is on the most basic level. We read him stories, show him pictures, and he seems to like it. He has gotten in the habit of seeing pictures of Christ at church and he always gets excited, jumps around, points and yells (usually during the sacrament or when everyone is really quiet) "Jeejus!" He will see pictures and images that look kind of like Christ, but aren't, and still scream, "Jeejus!!!! Jeejus!" I can tell he's proud of himself. Probably because Mommy gets REALLY excited that he is picking up on not only objects and colors but also church stuff;)

As most things are with kids, his vocab words ebb and flow. Some weeks it's all about dogs, some weeks it's trains, and some weeks it's Jesus.

Well, I hadn't heard about "Jeejus" in a while and I was having a particularly difficult "toddler day" trying to entertain/distract him to avoid a tantrum while running errands. I had gone into Best Buy to look at a camera (to replace my phone cam...) and of course it was just one hazard after another with him. Escalators, TVs, cameras...never a good idea to take a toddler to an electronics store without back-up.

I had gone through all the animal crackers and 2 different sales people, who were noticeably flustered with how rambunctious he was being while they were delivering their sermon on the Canon dlsr'--and mid-sentence--would pawn me off on another person to take over. Finally the third sales person showed up about the time I had gotten Landon sitting down, reading a book in the middle of the aisle.

The sales guy was really helpful and I was just about to purchase the camera when I hear a piercing yell, "JEEEEejus!!! JEEJUS!" The sales person, of course, couldn't really understand what he was saying, but was surprised by the sudden hysteria. Landon didn't stop. "JEEE-jus!!!! JEEEJUUUUUS!" Pointing and jumping! (He has an astoundingly LOUD voice).

Clearly he wanted my acknowldgement. The usual round of applause he gets when he gets something right.

You see, the sales guy looked EXACTLY like Jesus. 6 feet tall, long, slightly wavy, brown hair flowing loosely to about 3 inches below the shoulders, olive skin, long nose, subtle facial hair, and a kind demeanor. Landon was dead on (except for the blue Best Buy shirt). No wonder he was so excited. In his mind, he was actually seeing Jesus--THE JESUS that mommy won't shut up about--in person.

The sales guy kept looking at me funny, like, "Lady, what is is this kid saying?"

Of course, I'm a little worried now...what is the politically correct thing to say? We are in the Bay area, after all, I don't want to be disrespectful. While the inner dialogue continues there is the ever-present toddler screaming at the top of his lungs "JEEJUSS!"

Hilary: "Yes, honey, he looks just like Jesus, huh?"

Landon: Huge grin. Clapping.

Sales Guy: Laughing (Hilary--thankfully) "I haven't heard that one before," as he does the Catholic Cross thing.

Luckily we all had a good chuckle. My biggest regret is that I didn't ask to take a picture with the guy, as tacky as it would have been to do so. I did take a pic when we went back later with Rod of Landon on the escalator.

I realized this was a momentous occasion not just for Landon getting to meet the Savior at Best Buy in the same way he could meet Mickey Mouse at Disneyland, but also it signified the first time that my child successfully embarrassed me because of something he said. This, I'm sure, will not be the last.

I am very happy that he thinks about the Savior. For all the things I am no-doubt doing wrong, at least I am doing something right...maybe.

5 comments:

  1. That is hilarious and really sweet. Kids teach us amazing things, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious!! Reminds me of my niece who once was in Target and heard someone announce something over the PA and she yelled "Jesus, I can hear you!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. Had to read this one out loud to Paul. Soooooo cute! I'm so glad you recorded this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are doing great. he has all he right heros.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously you are teaching him the right stuff ; ) Such a cute story.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...