Thursday, January 27, 2011

Waiting for the Garbage Man

Look at how intense his waiting face is?

There are a few things in life Landon is willing to wait for. One his his Daddy. The other--the Garbage Man. He will sit quietly for long periods of time if there is a promise of the garbage man. He'll even wake up in the middle of the night and cry "caw caw" (car) instead of "Mommy," and then of course not go back to sleep until I have read him the truck book I got him at the used-bookstore at least a few times. I love those nights.

I'm not going to lie. This new phase of toddler-hood has been difficult. Especially with moving to a new house. Every stage has its joys and challenges, its true, but I feel like ever since the newborn phase, things have gotten progressively easier...until now.

Landon has gotten really verbal, months 12-14 were basically just a parrot stage of repeating words we would say to him. We were impressed. Lately, however, the words have digressed in to some sort of pigeon English where he tries to form sentences with made up words and he looks at me with such earnestness and says something like, "Cu-co Co day Dad coabu doh mama do dah" and then gets really frustrated when I have NO IDEA what he wants. Tantrums ensue and mommy wants to pull her hair out.

Thank heavens there's Elmo. I have a whole new respect for Sesame Street. Landon is beyond obsessed, in fact, sometimes "Melmo" is the only thing that can calm this kid down. Its cars, trucks, Elmo, sports, and the backyard.

He's still a very sweet boy, just exerting independence and the ability to run really fast can be a dangerous combination, which keeps me on my toes, literally. You know it's a bad sign when your toddler says "Oh no!" a lot (clearly I am saying that too much)...at least its not a curse word.

We also got him a new car seat. The first time we put him front facing he gave me this look of "Why have you been keeping this from me!?" He was really excited and now asks to go for rides in the "caw."

As for Rod, he's busy working his brains out. I am busy trying to still move in (I think I am starting to come to terms with the fact that it is going to take a few months for this to happen) and trying not to lose my identity, completely.
And isn't this image just, well, motherhood?

3 comments:

  1. The boys love the garbage. I'm convinced that's the reason they date the girls they do for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about your blog. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEEE-eeeees! Welcome to the next year... ugh! This is exactly where Hailey was a year ago, and I am only now seeing light at this end of this oh so terribly sweet and crumby tunnel. Good luck! Identity, who has that anymore!?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...